Sunday, February 6, 2011

What If?: America No Longer a Superpower

During this week we have repetitively discussed America's limited status as a world superpower. I kind of realized this from all the buzz going around about the recession. From watching Obama's State of the Union and its controversial Republican response, I realized that America is no longer on a steady path. The fate of our country lies in the hands of the newest generation. But I keep thinking: what if we can't turn it around?

Ironically, if I had to rate the impact of recession on my lifestyle from a 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest, I would give it a 2. It made me understand that I have a lot to be thankful for. But simply saying my thanks is not enough. Maybe I have nothing to worry about my future; maybe I do. Either or, I should have my best interests in the greater community. The same goes for the rest of the new generation. It's scary to think about making the world better for my children, when I was just once a child. But it's imperative. It's nerve-racking to imagine children 6 years younger than me 6,000 miles away on the other half of the globe are surpassing me in knowledge. But we can't just accept defeat. We have to compete back.

What if China does really become the next superpower? What will the implications be? Will we become "Easternized"? Will China become the next world model, the country that has the best education, the best healthcare, the country that people turn to for help? It's a scary thought. We keep trying to prevent this shift of power, but do we need a backup plan in case America collapses? I guess it's for us to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment