Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Metacognition: Kite Runner Essay

Writing the Kite Runner essay was a laborious but beneficial project. Especially because of all the planning beforehand, I felt I was not stressed at all when writing this. In fact, the words flowed write out of my fingers. By making an evidence plan before hand, I was able to secure my abilities as a writer into a structured essay, allowing me to reach my full writing potential.

I believe that the hardest part of writing a piece, such as an essay, is beginning it. I spent a good 30 minutes just thinking about possible ideas to write about. I couldn't just use anything; I needed an idea that could fill my paper with vivid language and not bore the reader. So I thought. What's the most important lesson to be learned from this book? After spending hours reading this, there must be something that stuck with me. I just had to dig and find it. What did the main character Amir achieve through the duration of the book? What was the purpose of writing the whole book? I soon realized it was for redemption. Hosseini wanted to show his readers that redemption requires sacrifice. And as soon as that idea sprung into my head, I was able to come up with thousands of things to back it up. I was surprised that I knew the idea all along, it just took a little thinking to find it.

As mentioned before, I thought this was one of the easiest essays for me to write in a long time. I knew the material well, since we discussed it nearly every day. I found my evidence before hand, and I knew the structure we had to write in. Still, there were a few things I could've done slightly better, as always. Collecting evidence was a good preparation, but before that, I think it would've been better to mark the book with key points while reading it so that it would've been easier to look back to. I wrote down many interesting topics throughout the course of the book, but not necessarily the key points. I maybe could've spent a little more time on the conclusion, but as always, there's a limit on how much time you can spend on it. Other than that, I think the writing of this essay was pretty successful, and it improved my skills as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment